TeslaAssist: An Android App For Tesla Vehicles
If you’re a Tesla vehicle owner then you know that there is an official Tesla mobile app that can be used to control your vehicle remotely. You might also know that there are third party mobile apps that can make use of Tesla’s HTTP API to get the state of your Tesla vehicle and build features around that.
TeslaAssist is one of those third party mobile apps.
The main idea behind TeslaAssist is that you can control your vehicle like the official Tesla app, but you also get to view and manage the data that is tracked, and make your driving experience more enjoyable.
So what are the features and how do they contribute to the purpose?
- Tracks Tesla vehicle state periodically while not driving and while driving (at a faster rate).
- View tracked Tesla vehicle data(distance traveled, number of trips, etc…) in statistics form (graphs and aggregate derived data). This is based on the periodically tracked state and allows the user to visualize trends or even visualize state spatially at a certain time (for example, seeing if a window was open yesterday).
- Interact with the embedded assistant AI while driving to control and get the state of a Tesla vehicle and also to play voice games for entertainment. Tesla has included some voice commands in their vehicle’s software, but the assistant adds on to that. Also if you wanted something to do while driving, you can play some voice interaction games. The app comes with some pre-installed games (Did you know, Riddles, and Jokes) created from curated publicly available content.
- The assistant can give information about nearby notable places while driving. This automatically happens, but it also be asked explicitly. If you’re ever curious about the city you’re in or you want to see if there are any notable places around (like parks), it’s easy to ask the assistant.
- Track driving related achievements attained through driving your Tesla vehicles. As if you needed more of a reason to drive your Tesla vehicle. Now you get to earn achievements when you go to restaurants, movie theaters, and more.
- Export tracked vehicle data into CSV file form for your own statistics evaluation. For example, create a graph or derive statistics in a spreadsheet application using the exported data.
- Make your own voice games similar to interactive fiction games and install/share them so that they can be played while driving. If you’re into making games, you can make text based games in a way TeslaAssist can accept them and then install it into TeslaAssist by sharing the game files with the app. Share the game files with others so that they can play as well. Visit https://teslaassist.nebulam.org to find out how all this works.
Does the app store any personal data on servers?
All the data that is tracked is stored on your mobile device. The only data that is stored on the servers is some state related to achievements so that your achievements are not lost even if you decide to uninstall the app and continue later on. The achievements state in the servers are stored in a manner such that attributing the data to a person is impossible from the server’s point of view.
Also, if you do decide to uninstall the app, or even if you want to look at the tracked data, you can export all of the tracked data to some files. After that you can choose to delete all files from the server before logout, thus giving you the option to continue in the future even though all data from the server has been deleted.
How much does it cost?
Nothing. It’s free and there are no advertisements embedded in the app.
Where can I get it?
You can get it from Google Play. Here is the link to the Google Play page:
TeslaAssist - Apps on Google Play
TeslaAssist helps you manage and track data on your Tesla vehicle. The point of TeslaAssist is to let you control your…
The app is currently in early access. Try it out and give some feedback to improve the app over time.